Monday, May 12, 2008

Banging my head on my desk

"He/She's not the boss."

Oh, if I had a dime for every time I've said those words this year. Today, I felt like if I had to say them one. more. time. my head was going to explode.

"Miiiyuss Hiiillaryyyy [in tattletale tone], so-and-so said I'm not allowed to play freeze tag with them at recess!"
He's not the boss. Of course you can play.

Miiiyuss Hiiillaryyyy, so-and-so's not letting me play with the lego!"
She's not the boss. You don't have to ask permission.

"Miiiyuss Hiiillaryyyy, so-and-so keeps telling me to be quiet!"
To so-and-so: You're not the boss!

A student gets up from the carpet and goes to sit at his desk.
Where are you going?
"So-and-so said that was three [his last chance] and told me to go back to my desk."
Come back and sit down, please. To so-and-so: Are you the boss?

You're not the boss. He's not the boss. She's not the boss.

And don't even get me started on "It's not a race."

GAH!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I know you are but what am I? :)

AfricaBleu said...

Ha. I had a brief stint as a K-2 substitute teacher, and my favorite oft-heard statement was "Mr./Mrs. So-and-so doesn't do it like that." To which I would screech to halt, fix the offending (and usually offended) little speaker with my best don't-mess-with-the-sub gaze and respond, "Do I LOOK like Mr./Mrs. So-and-so? No? Then we'll be doing things MY way today."

Still, you gotta love the little duffers, doncha?

Katrina said...

"It's not a race!" is employed often on our two rugrats, who seem to feel the need to turn everything into a competition, from running to the car to getting pajamas on. Sigh. You'd think after last month's skinned knees, they'd take it easier...lol!

Becca in Texas said...

More confirmation that teaching little kids is not all that different from my daily life with tenth graders.

Jean said...

welcome to my daily happenings when my two dear children are together. Nuh uh! Uh huh! Nuh uh! Uh HUH! Is NOT! Is TOO!