Friday, August 26, 2005

Bunnybowls

When I was little, I had a bunny bowl. It was a cermaic type bowl that had little bunnies all around the edge, and a picture on the bottom of little bunny children in some sort of buny scene. I had to eat out of that bowl. I can recall being so excited to finish my meal just so I could see the picture on the bottom of the bowl. (Isn't it funny what gets little kids excited?!?) It was special. It was my bunnybowl.

Now I haven't thought about my bunnybowl in quite some time. I'm all grown up now, and I don't thnk the thrill of finding a picture on my plate after my meal is over would be quite the same as it was. (Too bad, really. I wish us grown-ups could still see the world with the same sense of wonder a child has. Wouldn't it be great if we could stay like that?)

Well today, I was shopping for a gift for my friends Shannon and Jason, who just had a little baby boy. I was not totally looking forward to shopping for this gift. I always have a hard time with gifts. I want it to be meaningful, to be special. These are good friends of mine, and while sleepers are good, and very practical, I wanted to get something more. But what? I was drawing a blank. I'd love to have the money to buy them some beautiful pice of furniture or a really wonderful stroller or something like that. But I don't. And I don't know what they have or what they need. I also don't even konw what colour the nursery is. Bah. I had resigned myself to wandering the isles of Babies-R-Us coveting the big fancy baby gifts and not being satisfied with a rattle or a sleeper.

That is, until a display or red boxes caught my eye.

BUNNYBOWLS!!!
There they were! All kids of different sets - plates, cups, bowls, cutlery... It was perfect! A practical, but keepsake gift for Joshua that has all kinds of meaning as a gift from me because of the fond memories I have of MY bunnybowl.

I can't wait to give it to her!

(I kinda made it a bunny theme, too, picking up some great board books: Goodnight Moon, Runaway Bunny, and Guess How Much I Love You. They're all about bunnies! This poor kid's gonna get bunnied to death! Oh well.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I too, understand the agony of shopping for gifts. Usually, when it comes to baby showers, I choose something horribly cliche` and try to make it my own. Or, I'll pick out some really, REALLY cute clothes that I'd love to see my newborn in one day. That seems to do the trick. I must admit however, I envy you for actually finding that "GIFT". Hope they enjoy it.

Bunny bowls. Now thas whas up.