Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My assignment is becoming clearer

I've never been totally sure what I am going to be teaching in Korr in terms of ages and subjects. When asked what I'll be teaching, I mostly just respond with, "Children!" (How annoying of me, hey? hehe) Well today I got an email from Nick, one of the missionaries in Korr...

Lynne [who runs the school] met the headteacher, Lawrence, yesterday and we have a special request to put to you, so please sit down first!!! [Um, gulp!!!]

We have 'inherited' children from the Korr primary school who did not perform well there. They have missed out on the basics. There are about 5 in Standard 7 and 5 in Standard 6 who have failed repeatedly, yet we are convinced that all they need is some real love and proper coaching. This is impossible to do in a large class. Would you be willing to give them your special attention?

YES!!! Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES! I totally have a soft spot in my heart for kids who are struggling. I read this and my mind raced to one student in particular in my class at MySchool. He just was not making progress. Kindergarten, grade one, grade two... school for him is so, so hard, and his confidence is so, so low. It's kids like that who I most like to work with.

Of course, then there are the skills. I have the heart, but not the training! There are no special assesments (not that I'd know how to administer them), I don't know the cirriculum or performance standards, and I don't know where to get them (the "contact us" link on the Kenyan Ministry of Education website doesn't work!). All I can do is the best I can do, I guess!

Wow... Africa. In the desert. Teaching with none of my usual teaching supports or resources. And now the challenge of kids who - for who knows WHAT reasons - have failed their exams. Repeatedly... Here I am, Lord, send me!

I have NO idea how I will do this, but I am SO excited to do it! And terrified. And excited!

Six days to go!!!

5 comments:

anne said...

OH boy oh boy!! :) You will be so amazing at this. SO amazing.

Jean said...

SIX DAYS!!!!! SQUEEEE!!! :)

how awesome is that with teaching kids God gave you a soft spot for?!? That made chills run up and down my spine and into my toes too. :)

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

I am so thrilled for you! I completely understand why you haven't had time to check my blog. I'll be watching for more news about your adventure.

You say, "I have NO idea how I will do this..."

Yes, you do: If you've been called, you will be given the grace and strength and resources to answer the call.

God is with you, Hillary, God is with you.

"The Lord will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life. The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and for evermore" (Psalm 121:7-8, RSV).

Kaz said...

WOW!!! Huzzah! Sounds like a perfect assignment for you. I have a girlfriend who tutored struggling children in Belize and love it. I am sure that you will reap huge rewards and the children will be very encouraged to have a teacher like you!!! They are very lucky!!!

Anonymous said...

that is awesome!

You are going to have an amazing time - and I'm so looking forward to hear everything that you find, learn, give and gain there.

(and thx for stopping by the new digs as your so busy getting yours ready before you go!)