Monday, July 17, 2006

My delight

Tonight was our young adults BBQ down at Kits beach. It's once a month during the summer - we all bring something to BBQ, hang out, play some goofy games (yay - water balloon toss!), and have a brief talk/discussion time. Part of the discussion revolved around the question of what we take delight in. It was so good to be able to stop and reflect on that again tonight.

Even just the word struck me. Delight. How often do we as adults feel delighted at something? Why does it seem like it's only children who delight in things sometimes? I want to be more of a person who takes delight in things, who thrills, who marvels at the world around me - the big stuff and the little - and at all that God has done for us.

I feel like I'm getting a fresh sense of who God is these days, and of how mind-blowingly huge his love for us is. Between good talks with friends, the current sermon series (Darrell Johnson) at my church, and spending a whole lot of time in the mountains and at the beach, I'm finding lots of opportunity for delight these days.

I find my delight in nature, particularly the ocean (I've mentionned this before). The quiet and the earthy smell of the woods and the majesty of the mountains around me, too, puts me in awe of God. Music touches me in a particular way, too, and when the two of those are combined, wow.

I also take delight in the sunset, gelato, giggling kids, blueberry crumble, being silly with friends, giving or getting a hug, rollercoasters, the sun on my face, a good talk with a good friend...

What do you take delight in?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Being alive is delightful..
I think as adults we just have so much to do we often don't seem to have the time to notice things around us that we did as a child..