Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Parlez-vous francais?

Last Wednesday we had the what-I-thought-was-going-to-be-big union meeting where everyone picked their jobs for next year. Sigh. All the jobs that were available next year at out school were posted up on chart paper and everyone got a card with their name and a number on the back which represented their seniority ranking. We just went through the numbers. #1 - go pick your job. #2... #3... all the way down to #31, who was right before me. He took the last classroom job in the English side. Bye bye Hillary. The kindergarten job that I had been hoping for was taken at the last minute by a teacher who was coming back from mat leave and decided to switch from grade three. All that was left was a grade 2 and a grade 3 French Immersion job.

So I took grade 2. Basically the grade 2's coming up are little angels and the grade 3's are... well... very much not. So I figure if I have to change grades - SO much work, but hey, every teacher has to do it - and change from intermediate to primary - differnet program, different reports, different creatures! :) - AND change LANGUAGES - in French immersion, every subject is taught in French, no English till grade 4 - then I'll at least take the easy class thankyouverymuch.

I'm trying to have a good attitude about it, but right now, I'm just really... I dunno. Not super happy about it. I think part of it stems from the fact that I am finally feeling a teensy bit on top of things where I am, and everything I have done this year, I have looked back and gone, "Ooooh.... THAT'S how I should have done it," and I just really want the opportunity to do it again, cause I know I could do it so much better. And my classroom is all set up - I have to take everything down and move. And and and.... whine whine whine. I'm trying not to be that way, but right now I just kinda wanna have a little hand-flapping, foot-stomping hissy fit, scrunch up my face and say, "I DON'T WAAANAAAA."

I really have NO other options. I could volunteer to be surplussed and leave my school (it may already be too late to do that), but then I could end up with anything, anywhere, and I'm not quite up for that game. I could keep my eye on the postings in spring transfer and apply for jobs that I want in schools that I want to be in, but there will be so many other teachers who have been surplussed that have priority over me, who has a job already, that there's no way I'd actually get anything at this point. Basically this is what I've got...

BUT... here's where I try to convince myself... I don't really know what's around the bend. I may really enjoy it! Grade two's are CUTE. And there are FOUR teachers at my school who have taught grade two immersion at my school before, one of whom I will be teaching with next year. They're all great, and they're all willing to help me. And if I have to make such a big change, at least I'm doing it in my own school where I have friends and know people and have that support as opposed to starting all over in another school. I think it'll still be good for my teaching, cause I'll have to be way more organized than I was this year (no more, "whoops, I forgot to photocopy this... you just work quietly, I'll be right back...") and I'll have to become structure queen. That'll be good for my teaching overall...

Sigh.

And then again, who knows. We've packed our classes to the brim in our proposed school organization, and actually it doesn't even work unless four students leave our school. And because of these cuts, most schools are in the same boat, so they may end up releasing funding for some schools to have another division (class) after all, and we may end up re-organizing with another English division. I'm not counting on knowing anything for sure until September. Ha, or given what happened LAST fall, even October.

Road trip to Montreal, anyone? Or perhaps I should head back to France this summer after all! It seems I should begin brushing up on my French.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Hillary. I know you can do it. But if you want to have a little "hissy fit" I think you're entitled to that too! I can send a video of Mattias having one to show you how to do it just right.

nachtwache said...

There's nothing like throwing a pity party for oneself, when you feel like it, and darn it, why shouldn't you? Now you have a great reason to visit Montreal, or even PARIS!! It's for work, you ought to be able to deduct the cost from taxes :) I wish; my French could use some practice, it's gotten rather rusty.

Unknown said...

I think it's pretty impressive that you could teach in another language at ALL! Woo!

Lawn Mower Queen said...

My mom swears these things happen for a reason. You'll be great, no matter what you teach. Who knows, maybe you'll discover a new love. Fingers crossed that what is meant to happen will happen.

Anonymous said...

I will come out from lurking to add my two cents. I understand Hillary, I would be devastated to move now that I have a handle on my new subject. ButI just keep thinking, God has something special in store for you. He has planned out your next year and He knows what child needed you to be teaching that class at that moment. I will look forward to hearing about it next year as you learn about a whole new group.

Jean said...

You have such a positive attitude Hillary. You're a great teacher with the perfect personality for it! I, too, think it's so very impressive to be able to teach in another language!